Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Environment Division
For The Next Seven Generations
Air Quality Program
Brownfields
Compliance
Environmental Assessments
Env. Education Outreach
Forestry
Green Building Project
Hazardous Materials
Information Systems
I R M P
M E R C
N R D A
Solid Waste Management
St. Lawrence River AOC
Superfund
Water Resource Program
Wetlands Protection
Acid Rain - NADP
Ambient Air
Benzene Program
Climate Change
Fluoride Vegetation
Indoor Air
In-House
Metals
Ozone
PAH
PM 10 & 2.5
SO2 & Nox
TIP
Video
Wind
Clouds
The Atmosphere
Pollution Types and Sources
Particulate Matter
Sulfur Oxides
History of Clean Air Act
Carbon Monoxide
H. Indoor Air in Mohawk Homes
Radon - What Are Our Risks
Radon Update
Styrene Air Monitoring
Veg. Injury Causedr by Fluoride
PAH
 
Public Record
Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Area 4
About Us
Forms
Current Projects
Public Comments
Pesticides 
Env. Edu. 2002 
IEN Newsletter 2002-2006
Response Team
Petroleum Bulk Storage
GIS
IT
Maps
Projects
Equipment & Software
Services
2015 Price List
Discontinuity Planning
Kwis & Tiio
Recycling
Services Provided
SW Management Resources
Waste Lamp Recycling
Life Without Trash Removal
BUI
Sturgeon Restoration
Alcoa East
Alcoa West
General Motors
 

Print this Page
WIND

Carbon Monoxide

You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars. Fetuses, infants, elderly people and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.

CO poisons primarily by tightly binding to hemoglobin in the blood (forming carboxyhemoglobin), replacing oxygen and reducing the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. CO may also poison by binding to tissues and cells of the human body and interfering with their normal function. Recognizing early warning signs of CO poisoning is sometimes difficult because early symptoms of CO exposure (headaches, dizziness, and nausea) are nonspecific and may be mistaken for symptoms of other illnesses such as colds, flu, or food poisoning. Confusion and weakness can inhibit a person's ability to escape the hazardous environment.

Play it safe...if you experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning:

  • DO get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.
  • DO go to an emergency room. Tell the physician you suspect CO poisoning. If CO poisoning has occurred, it can often be diagnosed by a blood test done soon after exposure.
  • DO be prepared to answer the following questions for the doctor:
    1. Do your symptoms occur only in the house?
    2. Do they disappear when you leave home and reappear when you return?
    3. Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms?
    4. Did everyone's symptoms appear about the same time?
    5. Are you using any fuel-burning appliances in the home?
    6. Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are they working properly?

Prevention is the Key to Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
  • DO have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition and not blocked.
  • DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, carefully follow the instructions that come with the device. Use the proper fuel and keep doors to the rest of the house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation.
  • DON'T idle the car in a garage-even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
  • DON'T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • DON'T ever use a charcoal grill indoors, even in a fireplace.
  • DON'T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • DON'T use any gasoline-powered engines (mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws, small engines or generators) in enclosed spaces.
  • DON'T ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.
A Few Words About CO Detectors

Carbon Monoxide Detectors are widely available in stores and you may want to consider buying one as a back-up ~BUT NOT AS A REPLACEMENT~ for proper use and maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances. However, it is important for you to know that the technology of CO detectors is still developing, that there are several types on the market, and that they are not generally considered to be as reliable as the smoke detectors found in homes today. Some CO detectors have been laboratory-tested, and their performance varied. Some performed well, others failed to alarm even at very high CO levels, and still others alarmed even at very low levels that don't pose any immediate health risk. And unlike a smoke detector, where you can easily confirm the cause of the alarm, CO is invisible and odorless, so it's harder to tell if an alarm is false or a real emergency.

So what's a consumer to do?

First, don't let buying a CO detector lull you into a false sense of security. Preventing CO from becoming a problem in your home is better than relying on an alarm. Follow the checklist of DOs and DON'Ts.

Second, if you shop for a CO detector, do some research on features and don't select solely on the basis of cost. Non-governmental organizations such as Consumers Union (publisher of Consumer Reports), the American Gas Association, and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) can help you make an informed decision. Look for UL certification on any detector you purchase.

Carefully follow manufacturers' instructions for its placement, use, and maintenance!

Contact THE SRMT Environment Division for more information.



Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe Environment Division
http://www.srmtenv.org/index.php?spec=wind4